Attersee - Aufham

Country/Area

Community

Attersee

Place name

Aufham

Type of site

Associated Pile Dwelling Site (AS / S2)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:15

Responsible for site

Kuratorium Pfahlbauten
UNESCO-Welterbe Prähistorische Pfahlbauten um die Alpen
Mag. Henrik Pohl - Site Management Oberösterreich
Gemeindeamt Attersee am Attersee
Nußdorfer Straße 15
4846 Attersee
Österreich
e-mail: pohl@pfahlbauten.at

Administrative contact

Bundesdenkmalamt Abteilung für Bodendenkmäler Hofburg, Säulenstiege A - 1010 Wien
Extension (ha): 
2,03
Height above sea level (m): 
469,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

Dated according to finds: stone tools, flint tools, ceramics with incrustation, animal bones and organic remnants. / Datierung anhand der Funde: Steingeräte, Silices, Keramik mit Inkrustation, Tierzähne und Knochen, organische Reste.

Description

Aufham station was discovered by Wurmbrand as early as 1871. In the early 20th century, the association „Deutsche Heimat“ (German homeland) supported by Theodor Wang already dredged for finds. These works were continued between 1934 and 1937 by A. Wendl and F. Muthwill. In 1947, the first surveys were made by K. Krenn and K. Kromber, and, in 1951, examinations were carried out by K. Willvonseder and K. Schaefer on behalf of the Museum of Natural History in Vienna. In 1975, the Bundesdenkmalamt first undertook examinations, and in 1979, the station was measured. During this measurement, the so-called Aufham II station was discovered. Dives to the station were made in the course of the Salzkammergut lakeshore settlement inventory. The large settlement area stretches across about 350 m along the Western shore of lake Attersee. The distance from the shore is only a few meters, and reaches out towards the center of the lake to up to about 85 m. Towards the South, the landside boundary of the station moves slightly towards the center of the lake, and lies at between 30 and 55 m from the shore. The original demarcation between Aufham I station to the North and Aufham II station in the South cannot be reasoned and has been given up in the course of the 2003 inventory. In the course of the Bundesdenkmalamt examinations, two archaelogical horizons separated by lake marl and lying wood constructions could be distinguished besides finds from the Mondsee group sphere. In 2003 too, pile settings were found all over the area, which can surface in small-scale washed-out sectors, or in buoy funnels. The overall impression of the station – which probably covers several phases – shows to be well-preserved. There are disturbances by one centrally located boathouse, some buoy craters and the marina connecting to the North. / Die Station Aufham wurde bereits 1871 durch Wurmbrand entdeckt. Bereits im frühen 20. Jahrhundert wurde hier vom Verein 'Deutsche Heimat' unter der Hilfe von Theodor Wang nach Funden gebaggert, was zwischen den Jahren 1934-37 von A. Wendl und F. Muthwill fortgesetzt wurde. 1947 kam es zu ersten Vermessungsarbeiten durch K. Krenn und K. Kromer und 1951 zu Untersuchungen durch K. Willvonseder und Kurt Schaefer im Auftrag des Naturhistorischen Museums in Wien. 1975 wurden die ersten Untersuchungen des Bundesdenkmalamtes unternommen und 1979 die Vermessung der Station durchgeführt. Die Station wurde 2003 im Rahmen der Inventarisierung der Seeufersiedlung des Salzkammergutes betaucht. Das große Siedlungsareal erstreckt sich über ca. 350 m entlang des Westufers des Attersees. Die Entfernung vom Ufer beträgt wenige Meter und zieht sich bis zu ca. 85 m in Richtung Seemitte. Die Abgrenzung der Station Aufham I zu der Station Aufham II, die im Süden anschließt, ist nicht eindeutig geklärt. (Siehe dort) In der Siedlung konnten neben Funden aus dem Bereich der Mondsee Gruppe (siehe oben) auch zwei durch Seekreide getrennte Kulturschichten und liegende Holzkonstruktionen beobachtet werden. Auch im Jahr 2003 waren noch im gesamten Areal Pfahlsetzungen zu beobachten, die allerdings nur in ausgeschwemmten Bereichen bzw. in Bojentrichtern zu Tage treten. Der Gesamteindruck der - wahrscheinlich mehrphasigen - Station stellt sich einigermaßen gut dar. Grobe Störungen bestehen durch ein zentral stehendes Bootshaus, die zahlreichen Bojentrichter und den nördlich anschließenden Yachthafen.

Bibliography comment

Wurmbrand 1872; JboöMv 86 (1935); FÖ 2 (1934-37); Willvonseder 1951-55; Willvonseder 1963-68; Offenberger 1975; Czech 1977; Czech 1978; Czech 1979; Chondrogianni, Schmidt und Schneider 1986; Offenberger 1986.