Auvernier - Les Graviers

Country/Area

Community

Auvernier

Place name

Les Graviers

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:15

Responsible for site

OPAN, section Archéologie
Philippe Zuppinger
Espace Paul-Vouga 7
2068 Hauterive

Administrative contact

Office et musée cantonal d'archéologie Espace Paul Vouga CH - 2068 Hauterive
Extension (ha): 
0,57
Height above sea level (m): 
428,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

Port-Conty type Cortaillod: artefacts; Horgen: 3159 to 3110 BC (4 piles), 3083 to 3054 (12 piles), 3083 to 3054 (6 piles); Lüscherz: 2789 to 2701 (29 piles); Early Bronze: 1648 to 1610 (24 piles); Late Bronze: 1055 to 944 (9 piles). / Cortaillod type Port-Conty: mobilier; Horgen: 3159 à 3110 avant J.-C. (4 pieux), 3083-3054 (12 pieux), 3083-3054 (6 pieux) ; Lüscherz : 2789 à 2701 (29 pieux) ; Bronze ancien : 1648 à 1610 (24 pieux) ; Bronze final : 1055 à 944 (9 pieux).

Description

Graviers is the site regularly recorded on old 19th century (Siegfried map) and early 20th century maps to the north and to the rear of the Bronze Age deposits (Brena and Nord). It is this deposit that appears on the photographs of the winter of 1890-1891, showing piles as far as the eye can see. Photographs taken in 1921 also show the existence of a sizeable series of piles uncovered when channels were being created across the site to make it easier for fishing boats to get out. In 1924, P. Vouga carried out a trial excavation in the middle of the deposit and found a quantity of loom-weights which led to the area being known as the 'weaver's house'. Four archaeological layers were identified; Port-Conty type Cortaillod, Horgen, Lüscherz and Auvernier-Corde Ware. This ensemble was 'rediscovered' and underwent limited observation under emergency conditions in 1973 and 1974. The operations known as the “Tranchée de Tram” (Tram trench) and the “Tranchée du Gaz” (Gas trench) may be listed under the heading of Les Graviers. Although the trenches were filled in as the pipes were laid, thus preventing any systematic excavation, it was nevertheless possible to identify three archaeological horizons over a 1.2 m thickness; in view of the material retrieved they were attributed to Port-Conty type Cortaillod, Horgen and the Late Neolithic. To the south, an area of approximately 200 m2 was excavated in 1974; a few brief observations were made and the artefacts and piles were retrieved from the excavated material. Their analysis revealed occupation during the Horgen and Lüscherz periods and the Early and Late Bronze Ages. The archaeological layer on this site was 60-80 cm thick. The area is currently covered by a light fill used to make a car park. It is is one of the most important areas of archaeological potential in the canton of Neuchâtel / Le site des Graviers correspond à la station régulièrement reportée, au nord et en arrière des gisements de l’âge du Bronze (Brena et Nord) sur des cartes anciennes du XIXe siècle (Carte Siegfried) et du début du XXe siècle. C’est ce gisement qui figure sur les photographies de l’hiver 1890-1891, montrant des pieux à perte de vue. Des photographies réalisées en 1921 montrent également la présence d'une importante série de pieux dégagés lors de l'aménagement de chenaux à travers le site pour faciliter la sortie d'embarcations de pêche. En 1924, P. Vouga réalisa un sondage au centre du gisement ; il y découvrit une accumulation de pesons, donnant à cette zone l’appellation de « la maison du tisserand ». Quatre couches archéologiques furent identifiées : Cortaillod type Port-Conty, Horgen, Lüscherz et Auvernier-Cordé. Cet ensemble a été « redécouvert » et fait l’objet d’observations restreintes en conditions d’urgence en 1973 et 1974. Sous l’appellation des Graviers, on peut recenser les interventions dites « Tranchée du Tram » et « Tranchée du Gaz ». Bien que ces dernières aient été rebouchées au fur et à mesure de la pose des canalisations, ce qui a empêché toute intervention systématique, il fut néanmoins possible d’identifier trois horizons archéologiques répartis sur une épaisseur de 1.2 m ; ces derniers furent attribués au Cortaillod de type Port-Conty, au Horgen et au Néolithique final, grâce au matériel récolté. Au sud, une surface d’environ 200 m² fut excavée en 1974 ; on procéda à quelques observations sommaires, le mobilier et les pieux furent récoltés dans les déblais. Leur analyse mit en évidence des occupations durant le Horgen, le Lüscherz, le Bronze ancien et final. La couche archéologique était épaisse, à cet emplacement, de 60-80 cm. - La zone est actuellement recouverte d’un léger remblai utilisé pour l’aménagement d’un parking. Elle présente un potentiel archéologique parmi les plus importants du canton de Neuchâtel.

Bibliography comment

Viollier et Vouga 1930, 12-13 ; Vouga 1943, 198 ; Schifferdecker 1977a, 5-6, 18-19 ; Ramseyer 1982 ; Schifferdecker 1982a, 55-57, pl. 27-29; Arnold 2009, 39.