Bolken/Inkwil - Inkwilersee Insel

Country/Area

Community

Bolken/Inkwil

Place name

Inkwilersee Insel

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

Christoph Lötscher

Last update

Wed, 05/20/2015 - 15:28

Responsible for site

Kantonsarchäologie
Christoph Lötscher
Werkhofstrasse 55
4500 Solothurn

Administrative contact

Kantonsarchäologie Solothurn Werkhofstrasse 55 CH - 4500 Solothurn
Extension (ha): 
0,10
Height above sea level (m): 
462,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

Based on old finds, one may assume that the island contains Neolithic (Cortaillod, Corded Ware) and Late Bronze Age settlement remains. / Aufgrund von Altfunden ist von neolithischen (Cortaillod/Schnurkeramik) und spätbronzezeitlichen Siedlungsresten auf der Insel auszugehen.

Description

The settlement remains on the small island in Lake Inkwil were mentioned as early as 1854. Various excavations were carried out immediately after the discovery and during the 1850s. Further excavations were mounted after the artificial lowering of the lake level in 1892. The most recent test excavations took place in 1923 and 1946. Various individual finds were brought to light in 1947 and 1960 by divers (some diving illegally). As recent borings have shown, the site on the island is still in a good condition. However, it cannot be ruled out that some of the organic layers previously described have been destroyed by drying out since the lake level was artificially lowered in 1892 and again in 1962. Early reports mentioned extraordinarily rich finds and interesting architectural features. Thick organic layers and 'pile gratings' (referring to house floors) were uncovered in 1946. The 19th century reports contain several mentions of vertical piles and joined horizontal beam constructions. The site bears great scientific potential due to its topographic location (island settlement) and its central position in the Swiss Midlands. In many ways, the sites in Upper Aargau BE/Wasseramt SO take on an intermediate position between the large clusters of sites in Central Switzerland (Lakes Zurich/Zug and others) and the large lakes at the foot of the Jura Mountains (Lakes Bienne, Neuchâtel, Morat). Shared responsibility: the site is located on the border between Cantons Solothurn and Berne so the Archaeological Service of Canton Berne is also responsible (Inv. No. 476.001). / Die Siedlungsreste auf der kleinen Insel im Inkwilersee wurden schon 1854 erwähnt. Unmittelbar nach der Entdeckung und die ganzen 1850er Jahre hindurch fanden verschiedene Ausgrabungen statt. Erneut ausgegraben wurde nach der künstlichen Absenkung des Seespiegels von 1892. Die letzten Sondierungen fanden 1923 und 1946 statt. 1947 und 1960 kamen durch (teilweise illegale) Taucher noch verschiedene Einzelfunde zum Vorschein. Die Fundstelle ist immer noch in einem guten Zustand, wie kürzlich durchgeführte Bohrungen zeigten. Wie auch immer, es ist nicht auszuschliessen, dass die früher beschriebenen organischen Fundschichten seit der Absenkung des Seespiegels von 1892 und 1962 durch Austrocknung teilweise zerstört wurden. In den früheren Berichten ist von einem äusserst reichen Fundmaterial und interessanten Baubefunden die Rede. Noch 1946 sind mächtige organische Schichten und 'Pfahlroste' (gemeint sind Hausböden) angetroffen worden. In Berichten des 19. Jahrhunderts ist mehrfach von senkrechten Pfählen und damit verbundenen horizontalen Balkenkonstruktionen die Rede. Die Fundstelle besitzt sowohl aufgrund ihrer topographischen Lage (Inselsiedlung) als auch aufgrund der zentralen Lage im Schweizer Mittelland ein hohes wissenschaftliches Potential. Die Fundstellen des Wasseramts SO/Oberaargaus BE nehmen in vielerlei Hinsicht eine Mittelstellung zwischen den grossen Fundstellenkonzentrationen der Zentralschweiz (Zürichsee/Zugersee u.a) und den drei grossen Jurafussseen (Bielersee, Neuenbugersee, Murtensee) ein. Co-Zuständigkeit: die Fundstelle befindet sich auf der Grenze der Kantone Solothurn/Bern, so dass auch der Archäologiesche Dienst des Kantons Bern zuständig ist (Inv. Nr. 476.001).

Bibliography comment

Wiedmer-Stern 1904; Viollier et al. 1930, 32-34; JbSGU 36/1945, 37; JbSGU 37/1946, 39; JbSGU 49/1962, 45; ADSO 13, 2008, 25-29.