Gachnang-Niederwil - Egelsee

Country/Area

Community

Gachnang-Niederwil

Place name

Egelsee

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:16

Responsible for site

Amt für Archäologie
Irene Ebneter
Schlossmühlestrasse 15a
8500 Frauenfeld

Administrative contact

Amt für Archäologie Schlossmühlestrasse 15a CH - 8510 Frauenfeld

Dating

Years BC

Extension (ha): 
2,97
Height above sea level (m): 
402,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

Late Pfyn, dendrodates around 3600 BC to shortly after 3585 BC. / spätes Pfyn, Dendrodaten etwa 3660 bis kurz nach 3585 v.Chr.

Description

The bog settlement was discovered during peat cutting in 1862. That same year Jakob Messikommer, a pile-dwelling expert from Zurich, was commissioned by the Historical Association of Canton Thurgau to examine the area. Until 1884 he carried out several excavation campaigns and made the site known internationally mainly by the sale of its artefacts. In the early 1960s a construction project seemed to put the site in jeopardy. The Museum of Thurgau charged the Biological Archaeological Institute of the University of Groningen with archaeological excavations. The investigations were carried out under the leadership of Harm T. Waterbolk in the summer months of 1962 and 1963. At the time of its largest extension, the oval village covered an area of some 2000 m2 and was surrounded, at least during its final phase, by a substantial palisade. The settlement was clearly structured with six rows of houses separated by alleyways, with the fronts of the houses standing closely side by side. Based on the parts of the settlement that were examined in 1962-1963, one may reconstruct a settlement with a total of 35 houses, generally with two rooms and average sizes of 11 by 5 metres. In some cases as many as 15 phases of renovation were identified which corresponds to an average lifespan of the house floors of less than five years. The upper parts of the houses were represented by horizontal boards joined to outside piles driven into the ground at 1-metre intervals. Excellently preserved wooden artefacts stand out from the abundant assemblage, which also included several crucibles and a copper spiral providing evidence that copper processing took place on site. / Die Moorsiedlung wurde bereits 1862 beim Torfabbau entdeckt. Auf Veranlassung des Historischen Vereins des Kantons Thurgau begann noch im selben Jahr der Zürcher Pfahlbauforscher Jakob Messikommer mit der Untersuchung. Dieser führte bis 1884 mehrere Grabungskampagnen durch und machte die Fundstelle vor allem durch den Verkauf von Artefakten auch im Ausland bekannt. Anfangs der 1960er-Jahre schien der Siedlungsplatz durch ein Bauvorhaben gefährdet. Das Thurgauische Museum beaufragte deshalb das Biologisch-Archaeologisch Instituut der Universität Groningen mit vorgängigen archäologischen Grabungen. In den Sommermonaten 1962 und 1963 führte das holländische Forscherteam unter Leitung von Harm T. Waterbolk diese Untersuchungen durch. Das ovale Dorfareal erstreckte sich zur Zeit der grössten Ausdehnung über eine Fläche von rund 2000 m² und war wenigstens in der Schlussphase von einem starken Palisadenzaun umgeben. Auffallend ist die Anordnung in sechs durch Gassen getrennte Häuserzeilen, bestehend aus stirnseitig dicht beieinander stehenden Häusern. Anhand der 1962–1963 untersuchten Siedlungsteile lässt sich ein Gesamtbestand von gegen 35 in der Regel zweiräumigen Bauten von durchschnittlich 11 m Länge und 5 m Breite errechnen. Teilweise sind bis zu 15 Umbauphasen belegt, was einer durchschnittlichen Lebensdauer der Hausböden von weniger als fünf Jahren entspricht. Vom Oberbau der Häuser sind horizontal liegende Bohlenbretter nachgewiesen, die an eingerammte Aussenpfosten von gegen 1 m Abstand fixiert waren. Im umfangreichen Fundmaterial, das auch mehrere Schmelztiegel sowie eine Kupferspirale als Beleg für Kupferverarbeitung an Ort umfasst, stechen besonders die hervorragend erhaltenen Holzartefakte hervor.

Bibliography comment

Keller u. Reinerth 1925, 174–177; Waterbolk/vanZeist 1978a; Waterbolk/vanZeist 1978b; Waterbolk/vanZeist 1991a; Waterbolk/vanZeist 1991b; Hasenfratz/Raemaekers 2006; Benguerel et al. 2010.