Greng - Spitz

Country/Area

Community

Greng

Place name

Spitz

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:15

Responsible for site

Service archéologique de l'Etat de Fribourg
Serge Menoud
Planche Supérieure 13
1700 Fribourg

Administrative contact

Service archéologique de l’Etat de Fribourg Planche-Supérieure 13 CH - 1700 Fribourg
Extension (ha): 
7,69
Height above sea level (m): 
429,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

The occupation of this site during the Middle Neolithic period (3864 BC to 3820 BC) and the Late Bronze Age (1058 BC to 954 BC) was dated by dendrochronology. / L'occupation de ce site durant le Néolithique moyen (-3864 à -3820) et le Bronze final (-1058 à -954) est attestée par la dendrochronologie.

Description

The north-western tip of the peninsula is occupied by a Late Bronze Age settlement whose piles extend into the lake. The site has been known since 1888. Old reports place the Bronze Age site at the tip of the (northern part of the) peninsula while the Middle Neolithic settlement was said to have been located 'further out in the lake'. The dendrochronological analyses of piles recovered in the winter of 1992/93 showed that three out of 25 dated from the Late Bronze Age, while 15 were of a Middle Neolithic date. The south-eastern part of the peninsula was occupied during the Final Neolithic. Before the First Jura Waters Correction, high water levels sometimes turned it into a proper small island. Count Pourtalès, the owner of the area, created an artificial island in 1865 by digging up the area which joined the peninsula and the dry land. On this occasion, a large amount of Neolithic material came to light. After 1876 and the lowering of the lake levels in connection with the First Jura Waters Correction , several excavations were carried out on the remains, which had now become easily accessible; particularly worth mentioning are three test excavations carried out by Carl Müller in 1925, which were the last investigations to be mounted at the site. In the winter of 1999, GRAP surveyed the eastern part of the peninsula and rediscovered the unit of archaeological layers which Müller (1925) had identified as dating from the Final Neolithic. The Museum of Morat houses an important collection of artefacts from this site, which date mainly from the Final Neolithic. / L'extrémité nord-ouest de la pointe est occupée par un établissement de l'âge du Bronze final, dont les pilotis s'étendent dans le lac. Cette station est signalée dès 1888. Les anciens auteurs situent la station de l'âge du Bronze à l'extrémité de la presqu'île (partie nord) tandis que l'établissement néolithique moyen est 'moins avancé dans le lac'. L'étude dendrochronologique de pieux prélevés en hiver 1992/1993 montre que trois pilotis sur 25 sont datés du Bronze final, tandis que 15 appartiennent au Néolithique moyen. La partie du site au sud-est de la pointe est attribuée au Néolithique final. Avant la première CEJ, le niveau haut du lac la transformait parfois en îlot véritable. Le propriétaire du terrain, le comte de Pourtalès, construisit en 1865, une île artificielle en draguant la zone qui la reliait à la terre. Une grande quantité de matériel néolithique est mis au jour à cette occasion. Dès 1876 et la baisse du lac consécutive à la première CEJ, des fouilles sont entreprises sur ces vestiges devenus alors très accessibles et notamment les trois sondages de Carl Müller en 1925, dernières fouilles menées sur ce site. En hiver 1999, le GRAP prospecte la partie est de la presqu'île et retrouve un ensemble de couches archéologiques que Müller (1925) avait attribué au Néolithique final. Le Musée de Morat renferme une importante collection d'objets, surtout du Néolithique final, en provenance de cette station.

Bibliography comment

KELLER (F.), 1860; TROYON (F.), 1860; KELLER (F.), 1863; UHLMANN (J.), 1866; BONSTETTEN (G. de), 1867; GRANGIER (L.), 1870; KELLER (F.), ed, 1876; BONSTETTEN (G. de), 1878; GROSS (V.), 1883; SÜSSTRUNK (J.), 1885; GREMAUD (J.), 1886; PUGIN (C.)/CORBOUD (P.), 1999.