Morges - Les Roseaux

Country/Area

Community

Morges

Place name

Les Roseaux

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:15

Responsible for site

Institut F.-A. Forel / Université de Genève
Pierre Corboud
pierre.corboud@unige.ch
Route des Acacias 18
1211 Genève

Administrative contact

Monuments Historiques et Archéologie Place Riponne 10 CH - 1014 Lausanne
Extension (ha): 
0,86
Height above sea level (m): 
370,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

The most important occupation of this site dates from the Early Bronze Age considering the material found and the dendrochronological dating of the wooden piles (-1776 and ca -1600). Several datings equally show an occupation during the Late Bronze Age. / L'occupation la plus importante peut être placée à la fin du Bronze ancien, d'après le matériel archéologique et l'analyse dendrochronologique des pilotis (-1776 à -1600 env.). Le Bronze final est aussi attesté, d'après quelques dates dendrochronologiques

Description

The site of Roseaux is mentioned by Bonstetten in 1874. Then it is regularly mentioned by ancient authors and particularly by Forel, who explored the site at the end of the 19th and beginning of the 20th century. In 1976 a few piles were cut at the edge of the site offshore, whose dating was Late Bronze Age. In 1984 an under water survey allowed to define the extension and the importance of the settlement, and a small excavation permitted the understanding of the conservation and the stratigraphy. In 1991 199 wooden piles were sampled in two in two two meter large trenches, perpendicular to the coast line. Most of the piles dated from the Early Bronze Age. The site is relatively well preserved, the piles seem to be eroded on their surface but have not been pulled out by the waves. The archaeological layer is rich with material and is only endangered on its present erosion front. This immersed site is certainly the best preserved Early Bronze Age lake dwelling of all Lake Geneva. The presence of an archaeological layer, visible offshore, and numerous wooden piles transpercing the lake bottom are the marking elements of this site. Late Bronze Age occupation is known thanks to pottery shards and a few dates from piles offshore. / La station des Roseaux est mentionnée dès 1874 par Bonstetten. Elle est ensuite citée régulièrement par les anciens auteurs, dont en particulier Forel, qui l'explora entre la fin du 19e et le début du 20e siècle. En 1976, quelques pieux sont prélevés sur la limite du site du côté large, ils fournissent des dates d'abattage attribuées au Bronze final. En 1984, les limites et l'importance de l'établissement sont reconnues en plongée et une petite surface de fouille permet de préciser la conservation de la stratigraphie. En 1991, 199 pilotis sont prélevés dans deux couloirs de deux mètres de large, perpendiculaires au rivage. L'analyse de ces bois les place en majorité dans le Bronze ancien. Le site est relativement bien conservé, les pilotis sont érodés en surface du sol mais ne semblent pas devoir être arrachés par les vagues. La couche archéologique est très riche en mobilier, elle n'est menacée qu'au niveau de son front d'érosion actuel. Cette station immergée est certainement l'habitat littoral du Bronze ancien le mieux conservé de tout le Bassin lémanique. La présence d'une couche archéologique, qui affleure du côté large, et les nombreux pilotis dépassant du sol sont les éléments les plus marquants du site. Une occupation au Bronze final est mise en évidence par quelques fragments de céramique en surface et une datation dendrochronologique des pieux situés le plus au large.

Bibliography comment

Bonstetten 1874, 30; Forel 1876, 43; Forel 1904, 427; Lambert/Orcel 1977; Orcel/Orcel 1985; Corboud 1986a; Corboud/Pugin 1992; Corboud 2006.