Morges - Stations de Morges

Country/Area

Community

Morges

Place name

Stations de Morges

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:16

Responsible for site

Institut F.-A. Forel / Université de Genève
Pierre Corboud
pierre.corboud@unige.ch
Route des Acacias 18
1211 Genève

Administrative contact

Monuments Historiques et Archéologie Place Riponne 10 CH - 1014 Lausanne
Extension (ha): 
2,12
Height above sea level (m): 
369,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

These two sites belong both to the Late Bronze Age considering the archaeological objects collected and the only dendrochronological date. The site of Vers l'Eglise was also inhabited during the Final Neolithic period (Early Lüscherz). / Ces deux stations prochent appartiennent toutes deux au Bronze final, d'après le matériel archéologique récolté en surface du sol et une unique datation dendrochronologique. La station de Vers l'Eglise possède en outre un occupation plus ancienne attribuée au Néolithique final (Lüscherz ancien).

Description

The Grande-Cité site of Morges was discovered in 1854 by Morlot and Troyon. The site of Vers l'Eglise was only discovered in 1876 by F.-A. Forel. Since then, these sites have been regularly visited. In 1984 a prospection of the Morges region allowed to situate precicely these two sites and to analyse their state of conservation. The Late Bronze Age relics are very well preserved. Those of the Final Neolithic are covered by a more recent stone covering. This complex groups together the well preserved sites of Grande-Cité and Vers l'Eglise. Both show an occupation of the Late Bronze Age distinguished by a dense pile field. The site of Vers l'Eglise also contains an archaeological layer of the Final Neolithic. The site of Grande-Cité shows signs of an archaeological layer towards the lake. It also contains wooden architectural elements like foundation boards and wooden floors. / La Grande-Cité de Morges est découverte en 1854, par Morlot et Troyon. Ce n'est qu'en 1876 que la station de Vers-L'Eglise est identifiée par F.-A. Forel en 1876. Depuis cette date, cet ensemble archéologique est régulièrement exploré. En 1984, la prospection de la région de Morges permet de localiser précisément ces deux établissements et de constater leur bon état de conservation. Les vestiges du Bronze final sont exceptionellement bien conservés. Ceux du Néolithique final sont encore protégés par la ténevière de la période plus récente. Cet ensemble regroupe sur une surface continue les deux stations de Morges les mieux conservées: la Grande-Cité et Vers-l’Eglise. Toutes deux comptent une dernière phase d’occupation au Bronze final, signalé par un champ de pilotis très dense. En outre, la station de Vers-l’Eglise contient un niveau archéologique très bien préservé, attribué au Néolithique final. La station de la Grande-Cité montre encore des lambeaux de couche archéologique, conservés du côté large. Elle possède également des restes d’éléments architecturaux, tels des semelles de blocage de pieux et des vestiges de planchers en bois.

Bibliography comment

Forel 1876; Forel 1904, 430; Viollier 1930, 48; Corboud 1986a; Corboud/Pugin 1992; Corboud 2006.