Seewalchen am Attersee - Litzlberg Süd/II

Country/Area

Community

Seewalchen am Attersee

Place name

Litzlberg Süd/II

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:15

Responsible for site

Kuratorium Pfahlbauten
UNESCO-Welterbe Prähistorische Pfahlbauten um die Alpen
Mag. Henrik Pohl - Site Management Oberösterreich
Gemeindeamt Attersee am Attersee
Nußdorfer Straße 15
4846 Attersee
Österreich
e-mail: pohl@pfahlbauten.at

Administrative contact

Bundesdenkmalamt Abteilung für Bodendenkmäler Hofburg, Säulenstiege A - 1010 Wien
Extension (ha): 
0,76
Height above sea level (m): 
469,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

Dated according to finds (ceramics and flints). / Datierung anhand von Keramikfragmenten (teilweise große Stücke, mit Verzierung und gut erhalten) und Silices.

Description

Litzlberg South station was already discovered in 1904 by the sand fisherman Th. Wang. In the course of the research of K. Willvonseder in 1951, the station could not be located any more, which moved him to exclude the area as a find location. In 1976, however, the settlement was rediscovered by J. Offenberger and his dive team. It was measured in the following year of 1977 by the Bundesdenkmalamt. The lakeshore settlement lies at the North side of the bay of Buchberg, and stretches out in West-Eastern direction for about 150 m. Its distance from the shore is around 70 m, its width about 40 to 45 m. The settlement area is covered with lake marl and calcareous mud across a large area, and presents itself in good condition. Because of the covering of the massive archaeological horizons (up to 70 cm), drills promise significant results on the stratigraphy and exact dimensions of the station. There are only a few of the usual small-scale disturbances by constructions in the water (piers and boathouses in the adjacent shore area) and buoy funnels. Towards the shore, the archaeological horizon partly surfaces. / Die Station Litzlberg Süd wurde bereits 1904 vom Sandfischer Th. Wang entdeckt. Im Zuge der Untersuchungen Willvonseders im Jahr 1951 konnten die Station aber nicht mehr lokalisiert werden, woraufhin er den Fundort auscheiden ließ. 1976 konnte die Siedlung von Offenberger und seinem Tauchteam wieder entdeckt werden. Sie wurde im Folgejahr 1977 vom Bundesdenkmalamt vermessen. Die Seeufersiedlung liegt an der Nordseite der Bucht von Buchberg und erstreckt sich über ca. 150 m ca. in west-östlicher Richtung. Ihre Entfernung vom Ufer beträgt rund 70 m, ihre Breitenausdehnung beträgt ca. 40 bis 45 m. Das Siedlungsareal ist großflächig überdeckt und stellt sich in einem guten Zustand dar. Aufgrund der Überdeckung und der massiven Kulturschicht (bis zu 70 cm) haben Bohrungen gute Aussichten auf aussagekräftige Ergebnisse zur Stratigraphie und exakten Ausdehnung der Station. Einige kleinräumige Störungen durch Wassereinbauten (Stege und Bootshäuser im unmittelbaren Uferbereich) sowie Bojentrichter. Gegen das Ufer tritt Kulturschicht oberflächlich zu Tage.

Bibliography comment

Willvonseder 1963-68; Czech 1977; Czech 1978; Offenberger 1986; Dworsky und Reitmaier 2004.