Versoix - Versoix-Bourg

Country/Area

Community

Versoix

Place name

Versoix-Bourg

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:15

Responsible for site

Institut F.-A. Forel / Université de Genève
Pierre Corboud
Route des Acacias 18
1211 Genève

Administrative contact

Service cantonal d'archéologie Rue du Puits-St-Pierre 4 CH - 1204 Genève
Extension (ha): 
3,03
Height above sea level (m): 
368,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

This site is dated to the Late Bronze Age based on the archaeological finds preserved on site and in the Museum of Geneva. A small number of stone objects recovered in the past may represent eviedence of a Late Neolithic occupation. / Cette station est attribuée au Bronze final, par le matériel archéologique conservé sur le terrain et au Musée de Genève. Quelques rares objets en pierre, récoltés anciennement témoignent d'une éventuelle occupation au Néolithique final.

Description

This submerged lakeside settlement has been known since 1854 and archaeological finds have been gathered there on numerous occasions. It has also been explored several times by amateur divers. Its boundaries were not identified precisely and the site studied until 1983. The piles of this settlement are well preserved down to one metre below ground. No archaeological layer has survived but the archaeological finds are numerous, albeit eroded on the surface of the ground. It is the largest site on the shores of Lake Geneva. Apart from the timbers, the boundaries of the settlement are marked by a layer of stones, which is quite dense towards the shore but more losely scattered on the lakeward side. The main outstanding feature of this village is a gravel pathway interspersed with timbers running at right angles to the current shoreline. The path is located at the centre of the settlement and was 15 to 20 metres wide with an observed length of over 125 metres. / Ce site littoral immergé, connu depuis 1854, a fait l'objet de nombreuses récoltes de mobilier archéologique et d'explorations de plongeurs amateurs. Il n'est délimité précisément et étudié qu'en 1983. Les pieux de cet établissement sont bien conservés, jusqu'à un mètre au-dessus du sol. Aucune couche archéologique n'est présente, le matériel céramique est très abondant, mais érodé à la surface du sol. C'est la plus grande des stations littorales du Léman. A part les pilotis, les limites de l'établissement sont marquées par une ténevière, très dense du côté rivage et plus diffuse du côté large. La particularité principale de ce village est la présence du côté rivage d'un chemin de galets parsemé de pilotis, perpendiculaire à la rive actuelle. Ce chemin est situé au milieu de l'habitat et atteint une longueur observée de plus de 125 m sur une largeur de 15 à 20 m.

Bibliography comment

Gosse 1854-1870; Troyon 1860, 123; Forel 1904, 433; Sauter 1964; Corboud/Seppey 1991; Corboud 2006.