Yverdon - Baie de Clendy

Country/Area

Community

Yverdon

Place name

Baie de Clendy

Type of site

UNESCO-World Heritage Site (WH / S1)

Last edited by

admin

Last update

Thu, 02/19/2015 - 17:16

Responsible for site

Institut F.-A. Forel / Université de Genève
Pierre Corboud
pierre.corboud@unige.ch
Route des Acacias 18
1211 Genève

Administrative contact

Monuments Historiques et Archéologie Place Riponne 10 CH - 1014 Lausanne
Extension (ha): 
1,87
Height above sea level (m): 
430,00

Map of pile dwelling sites

Dating text

This ensemble belongs to the following periods: Late Cortaillod (not dated by dendrochronology), Recent Lüscherz (between -2750 and -2730), the Yverdon phase (-2730 to -2620), the Auvernier phase (from -2600 to -2500) and the Early Bronze Age (between -1815 and -1515). / Cet ensemble appartient aux périodes suivantes: le Cortaillod tardif (non daté par dendrochronologie), le Lüscherz récent (compris entre -2750 et -2730), la phase Yverdon (datée de -2730 à -2620), la phase Auvernier (qui s'étend de -2600 à -2500) et le Bronze ancien (calé entre -1815 et -1515).

Description

This vast complex of lake settlements was discovered in the 1960s. The first excavations in the area of Garage Martin were done in 1962 over a surface of 200 square meters. The building of a garage in 1963 destroyed more than 2000 sq. m. of the site. The settlements of the Avenue des Sports were studied through trenches and excavations from 1965 onwards. In 1973 in Garage Martin, a trench of 24 sq. m at the place of the tank was excavated by G. Kaenel. Between 1969 and 1975, a certain number of excavations are done together with the Institute of Prehistory of the University of Freiburg in Breisgau. 1988-1989, excavations were undertaken by C. Wolf on a surface of 240 sq. m. The stratigraphy is a reference for a part of the Final Neolithic of the Three Lakes Region and is based on the ceramic typology of the pottery discovered during these excavations. The preservation of the archaeological relics is excellent. Because of their depth, objects, organic material and wooden piles are still preserved in a waterlogged environment. The extension of the site is known thanks to the numerous trenches and excavations in this region. / Ce vaste ensemble d'établissements littoraux est découvert dans les années 1960. Les premières fouilles dans la zone du Garage Martin ont lieu 1962, sur 200 m². La construction du garage en 1963 détruit environ 2000 m² du site. Les établissements de l'Avenue des Sports sont l'objet de fouilles de sondages dès 1965. En 1973, dans le Garage Martin, un sondage de 24 m² est effectué par G. Kaenel à l'emplacement d'une citerne. Entre 1969 et 1975, plusieurs campagnes de fouilles se déroulent en collaboration avec l'Institut de préhistoire de Fribourg-en-Brisgau. En 1988-1989, les recherches sont reprises sous la direction de C. Wolf, avec l'étude d'un secteur de 240 m². Une stratigraphie de référence pour une partie du Néolithique final de la région des Trois Lacs du Jura est proposée à partir de la typologie de la céramique découverte lors des fouilles de l'Avenue des Sports. La conservation des vestiges est excellente. Compte tenu de leur profondeur, les objets, le matériel organique et les pilotis sont encore préservés dans un milieu humide. L'extension des vestiges est estimée grâce aux nombreux sondages réalisés dans la région.

Bibliography comment

Strahm 1972-1973; Kaenel 1976a; Kaenel/Strahm 1978; Wolf 1989a; Wolf 1989b; Strahm/Wolf 1990; Wolf 1992; Wolf 1993; Orcel/Orcel/Hurni/Monnard/Wolf 1995.